Sunday 2 March 2014

Valentino’s Headquarters - Richa Maria Kurien

An experience I’ll never forget is going inside Valentino’s headquarters, thanks to Luca’s amazing connections. My respect for designers and ateliers grew even more as we walked through the rooms in which haute couture dresses were being created. I was in awe of the precision and detail with each bead, sequence and embroidery. An atelier had told us it takes at least five years of training to master such an art, which came as no surprise to me especially after seeing finished pieces.

I was particularly attracted to an olive green, Valentino dress as it looked so delicate, especially with the touch of real bird feathers flowing all the way down it. As I was ‘tumblring’ for my blog, I came across a photograph of another Valentino dress, which I was so privileged to be able to say “I saw that in person”. This dress clearly illustrates that fashion is a form of art. To be able to recreate Lucas Cranach’s ‘Adam and Eve’ painting, into a dress with various shades of thread and embroidery is skill at its finest. We were also given an amazing opportunity to look through Valentino’s archive. It gave me a great insight on how fashion and style has evolved and in some cases, recreated.  Browsing through a portfolio of Valentino designs for celebrities such as Anne Hathaway and Katy Perry, felt so surreal and made me realise what an incredible opportunity it was to visit the headquarters of such a glamorous brand. 










No comments:

Post a Comment