Wednesday 26 February 2014

Italy 101: food. Zygimante Vakare Jovaisaite

“The discovery of a new dish is more precious to human beings than the discovery of a new star.”, once said Brillat – Savarin and he just put my thoughts into words. It’s not too big of a secret, you know, – I love food. Salads and junk, sweets and savouries, fast and slow cooked… Pretty much anything, that does not contain mushrooms, liver or cooked onions, and looks decently, makes me hungry, even if I just had my lunch. Obviously, food was one of the reasons for my excitement about this trip. So here we go, few pictures from that short stay. Just enough to make your mouth watering, yet not that many – I just don’t want you to go down the kitchen to start making second dinner at 10pm! (The true reason behind that – sometimes I tend to be way too hungry to take pictures of food, so I dig into it as soon as it reaches my table!)
Rissoto with tomatoes and feta on top of Florence (to be exact - at the rooftop restaurant of Rinascente department store) is a wonderful idea, especially when it's warm and sunny.

Another rissoto (this time in Rome). Just as good as rissoto can get.

Meal for three: pasta, pasta, and once again - rissoto! The mussels ditalini was hands down the best pasta meal I have ever had.

A fresh change from all heavy Italian meals - smoothies for (or after) lunch. Refreshing taste, great energy boost and extra healthy! Found at Ginger, Rome.

After enjoying the great smoothies, we simply could not resist the opportunity to come back to the same place for last dinner in Rome. Fresh, tasty, healthy with a slightly sinful desert - perfect!

Not-so-Italian anymore, but who can resist a macaroon from iconic Ladurée? No one!

Alright, this is not fancy at all, but one definitely needs a snack for all these long trips, right? I am not a great fan of crisps, but these are my new favourites - perfectly salted and perfectly cut.

Photos taken by me and Laura-Kaisa Aanila.

No comments:

Post a Comment