Friday 28 February 2014

#moftravels To Italy. By Emily Perriss


On an Evening in Roma. (By Emily Perriss)

Ciao Viaggiatori. For the past week, those fortunate enough to have been able accompany the MOF troop to Italy will understand that, throughout the week we had some of the most surreal and incredible experiences that we may never be fortunate enough to experience again. And those who didn’t could not have missed what we were up to due to our vast and constant amount of instgram’ing, tweeting and with Matthews encouragement, hashtagging #moftravels whenever we could connect to Wi-Fi or, standing close to Kristie #KristiesHotspotWeLoveYou. For me, my Italian dreams had been accomplished by our first evening in Roma. As a young eight year old, I was assigned a ‘Eurpoean’ project, and with my Italian ancestry I chose Italy. Throughout this project I discovered the ‘Trevi Fountain’ and the idea of throwing a coin into the beautiful and historical fountain had always become a dream for me. The best aspect of Rome is that you can be walking around quite, little backstreets and then suddenly be in the face of something you have always dreamed of seeing. The atmosphere instantly becomes electric, and the emotions of excitement, surrealism and simply: contentment becomes overwhelming. For me, it was very much a dreamlike moment, one that I could only capture in photographs. I could not leave without following through with the ‘Three coins In a fountain’ tradition, however as it was our first night I was low on coins, therefore was only able to throw one in. With any luck, this means I will one day, return to Rome. 


Year 3 Italy Project. 

Lo Amo L’architettura Italiana. (by Emily Perriss) 

As a fan of art, the architecture of Italy is just one aspect of the Italian art culture that makes both Rome and Florence magnificent. Walking in between each attraction was a fascination on its own as each stunning building holds you captive. Each detailed aspect, from the Flavian Amphitheatre (The Coloseeum in Rome) which despite being built in 70 AD is still the largest Amphitheatre in the world, to the gothic Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore (The Florence Cathedral) which began being built in 1296 and is simple breathtaking. Even, the street shops alone, particularly in Florence, hold a charismatic attraction creating an inspiring city. With Italian architecture influencing the world, particularly throughout the 19th Century as the Italian style modeled on the Renaissance architecture enthused many other cities, it is completely understanding as to why everyone is inspired by the cities art.  We too can understand why the cities themselves appreciate it, and take great pride in what they have produced, and so when walking around, most companies have, instead of using unpleasant scaffolding, they have created artistic scaffolding; cleverly deceiving the eye into thinking one is looking at the building.  This is a clever way in keeping, what is even being repaired beautiful.






As a keen fan of art, I have always enjoyed visiting galleries, and so visiting the Capucci Museum in Florence was enjoyable. Roberto Capucci’s exhibition showed that he was more than just a fashion designer. He was an architect and an artist. His unusual couture garments intrigue the eye. His unique dresses show to have been inspired by architecture, instantly making his sculptures into an art piece. Getting lost in art galleries is a hobby of mine, however when walking out onto the roof terrace to see the whole of Florence surrounding me was a picturesque moment. Words cannot describe the feeling of looking out, over Florence and the mountains that surround it. Only Natalie’s expression: ‘I cant’. When overlooking over something so beautiful, one is thrown an array of emotions, mainly appreciation: Appreciative of being part of such a surreal trip, having the opportunity to experience what we had experienced, being able to get to know some incredible people on my course, being lucky enough to have the lectures I have and actually being fortunate enough to be at university. Only then did it truly hit me.    



‘Fai della bellezza il tuo costante ideale’-Roberto Capucci. (by Emily Perriss)

My ‘Roman (and Florence) Holiday’ was inspirational. Each experience, each view, each moment has inspired me. I feel encouraged to ‘peruse beauty in everything I do’. This does not mean art alone. Every project, task, or action I do I want it to be worth something brilliant. I feel encouraged by every brand, gallery, piece of artwork and person I met to create, sketches, photographs, exhibitions and memories. For my first university trip, it ‘Each, in its own way, was unforgettable. It would be difficult to.....Rome! By all means, Rome. I will cherish my visit here in memory as long as I live.’ (Roman Holiday) 








I have created a iMovie which shows some of my favourite moments of the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment